A quick guide to some great curly hair tips and tricks!
No-Poo Cleanser Tips
Firstly you should start by completely saturating the hair with warm water. This will help to open the cuticle.
- Distribute between palms and fingers first. Before applying to the hair and scalp.
- Spend 1 minute massaging and scrubbing with each wash, with fingers or a silicone scalp brush.
- Add more warm water and let it run right through to the ends, scrunching as you go. This will help gently clean the hair and activate the curl.
- Wash out thoroughly, the water should run clear with no product left behind.
- First, cleanse – this will help remove dirt, oils and build up.
- Second Cleanse – to cleanse the scalp and help alleviate potential concerns such as product build-up or itchy/dry scalp.
Click here to buy Clever Curl Cleanser.
Curly hair tips with Conditioner
- Following cleansing keep hair completely saturated with warm water
- Ensure conditioner is evenly spread over your hair by “roping” it through in sections or using a wet brush.
- Gently detangle your hair with your fingers.
- “Squish to condish” by adding scoops of water to your hair and squeezing it into small sections.
- Wash the conditioner out of your hair with lots of water, allowing some product to be left in or completely rinsed out. This will depend on your curls needs.
Styling tips and tricks for curly hair
- Curl Cream: Disperse through dripping wet hair by raking through with your fingers to ensure even distribution, then gently scrunch in small sections to encourage curls.
- Foams: Disperse through dripping wet hair by raking through with your fingers to ensure even distribution, then gently scrunch in small sections to encourage curls.
- Gel: Use “prayer hands” to smooth the gel over wet hair gently, including over the top of the head if you’re prone to halo frizz.
- Gently scrunch the ends of your hair if you want to encourage more curls and volume.
Curly hair tips for drying
- To dry, you can “plop” to remove excess moisture, then air dry or diffuse your hair.
- Plopping: With a cotton t-shirt or microfibre towel, wrap around your head with your hair on top and leave for 10-30 minutes. Or use the t-shirt/towel to gently scrunch the excess water from your hair.
- Air drying: Try not to touch your hair while it air dries. This method will give you maximum definition and minimal frizz, but will take the longest!
- Plopping and not using too much product will reduce the drying time.
- You can use root clips to add volume.
- Diffusing: With a diffuser attached to your hairdryer, set it to the lowest heat and speed settings. Start by hovering the dryer over your roots, once that’s dry you can move on.
o For extra volume: with your head upside down, cup your hair in the diffuser in small sections.
o For less volume and more definition: with your head upright, either hover the dryer over your hair until it’s dry, tilting your head side to side or gently cup your hair in the diffuser.
Refreshing Curly Hair
- Dampen your hair with a spray bottle.
- There should still be product in your hair several days after washing, which will be reactivated by the water. Simply smooth down any frizz or finger curl wonky curls.
- If you need to, add a little more styling product with wet hands and gently scrunch in.
- Take a little styling product and scrunch into the ends of your hair or smooth onto frizzy sections. Great for when you’re in a rush!
Click here to shop for curly hair bundles at Natural Eclipse.
What is your favourite curly hair tips or tricks? Comment in the thread below, we would love to hear!